Position Title: Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse
Department: Health Services
Advertised Pay: $44K base for LPN and $58K base for RN, potential for a higher entry rate dependent upon experience
Location: Washburn University
The screening committee will review all eligible applications submitted by December 30, 2022
Position Summary: The clinic nurse provides direct patient care, education, and counseling related to illness and wellness.
Works closely with patients throughout the intake process to help nurse practitioners develop treatment plans and strategies. Asks patients questions about current symptoms, medical histories, and medications to provide nurse practitioners with information regarding a patient’s medical needs and background.
May conduct preliminary tests such as blood pressure and respiratory checks.
Provides direct support and assistance for the facility’s nurse practitioners. May prepare equipment or other instruments to assist with procedures.
Must rapidly shift between tasks depending on where the most assistance is needed.
Provides direct care to patients such as: administering medication/treatments, changing the dressing on wounds, or applying topical treatments.
Follows up with patients to determine whether courses of treatment are effective. Notes changes in patient’s overall health, progression, and reactions to treatment and updates patient records.
Reports any problems or potential issues to nurse practitioners.
Ensures facilities and equipment are clean and sanitized to prevent the spread of disease. Must follow proper disposal procedures for potentially hazardous materials.
In addition to daily interaction with patients, will often liaise between patients, nurse practitioners, and patient representatives.
Must adhere to privacy laws including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) to maintain patient confidentiality.
Will hire, train, schedule, and lead student workers working in the clinic.
Performs additional job-related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
- Rooming patients and taking vital signs.
- Inventory of clinic room and extra supplies.
- Re-stocking clinic rooms and setting up for procedures.
- Completion of baccalaureate, associate degree, or a diploma from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited program, or practical nursing Accreditation Commission for Nursing Education (ACNE) accredited program.
- Ability to create and manage documents in Excel and Word. Working knowledge of e-mail and social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Willing to learn new programs and applications used at the university.
Develop and maintain professional communication and relationships with community and state organizations.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Proven ability to use tools commonly used in a health clinic such as a glucometer, autoclave, Attest incubator, centrifuge, and AED.
- Must have current knowledge of COVID-19 guidelines for treatment, vaccination, testing (rapid antigen and PCR), reporting, tracking, and health clearance requirements.
- Kansas Registered Nurse or Kansas Licensed Practical Nurse license, current BLS for a healthcare worker.
Ability to lift a minimum of 40 pounds, stand for extended periods of time, and assist patients with transferring, position changes, ambulation, and mobility.
- One to two years of experience in an outpatient clinic setting.
- Supervisory experience.
- Working knowledge of Maxient systems.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This is a “designated safety-sensitive position” and will be required to undergo drug testing.
Full time, Hourly, Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm, Background Check and Drug Screen Required
Washburn is an EOE and is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching-focused academic and work environment. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a campus climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented and/or marginalized in higher education.
Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Washburn University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants for employment. If you are an applicant who needs a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please email email@example.com or call 785-670-1538 at least five (5) business days in advance of the date you need the requested accommodation.