Position Title: Custodian, Sun-Thur 10p-6:30am
Department: Facilities Services (CBU)
Advertised Pay: 12.00/hr + $1.00/hr shift differential
Location: Washburn University
The screening committee will continue reviewing all eligible applications submitted until all positions are filled.
Position Summary: Performs custodian duties for the Washburn campus.
Employees are expected to use chemicals, supplies, and equipment to manufacturer and University standards and to comply with University and OSHA policies and regulations.
New employees must complete safety training within six months of hire.
Work assignments for this position may include any or all of the following plus other duties as assigned.
• Clean and disinfect urinals, lavatories, partitions and walls, trash receptacles, and other surfaces and fixtures.
• Maintain supplies of toilet tissue, paper towels, and soap in restrooms, showers, and locker rooms.
• Sweep, mop, dust, strip, wax, and buff floors.
• Vacuum and/or shampoo carpets.
• Clean chalk and dry-erase boards.
• Clean and disinfect water fountains.
• Collect and remove waste and/or recyclable materials.
• Wash walls and windows.
• Perform other cleaning tasks in offices, classrooms, laboratories, entrance areas, conference/meeting rooms, dining areas, corridors, elevators, stairways, residence halls, and other public or restricted areas in University buildings.
• Move, and set up/dismantle tables, chairs, portable stages, risers, and other equipment to prepare for or clean up after special events such as athletic events, commencement exercises, training events, and meetings.
• Remove ice and snow from steps and entryways within 10 feet of building entrances.
• Change and dispose of light bulbs in accordance with University safety training.
• Visually check fire extinguishers.
• Lock and unlock buildings.
• Report safety concerns or maintenance/repair needs to the supervisor.
(Please see Skills required.)
• Ability to learn the operation and care of vacuum cleaners, scrubbing machines, buffers, and other janitorial equipment.
• Ability to work effectively with fellow workers and others.
• Ability to move and maneuver objects weighing as much as 50 pounds.
• Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
• Ability to work from a ladder or lift.
Ability to work from a ladder or lift and to move and maneuver objects weighing as much as 50 pounds.
Occasional requirement to climb ladders.
Weekly Schedule: Sun-Thurs, 10pm-6:30am, Full Time, Hourly
Background Check and Drug Screen Required
Washburn is an EOE and is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching-focused academic and work environment. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a campus climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented and/or marginalized in higher education.
Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Washburn University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants for employment. If you are an applicant who needs a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 785-670-1538 at least five (5) business days in advance of the date you need the requested accommodation.