Position Title: Assistant Professor in Computer Information Sciences
Department: Computer Information Sciences
Location: Washburn University
Position Summary: Washburn University’s Computer Information Sciences Department invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor of Computer Information Sciences to begin August, 2023. This is a full-time, 9-month, tenure-track position. A completed doctorate degree is required for tenure-track appointment.
Applicants should be committed to providing a quality undergraduate education, as well as to performing research and service. The selected candidate for this position will also have a demonstrated commitment to pursuing teaching excellence, including a dedication to developing inclusive teaching practices that engage students from diverse backgrounds.
Washburn University is a teaching-focused, student-centered, public institution that has earned national recognition for its high-impact programs for first-generation students and is located in the metropolitan setting of Topeka. Washburn has a student body of over 5,000 undergraduate, graduate, and law students, a significant and growing number of whom are first-generation and Pell-Grant eligible. The University has created educational pathways for all students to be successful and achieve their educational goals. Class sizes at Washburn are small, and faculty are encouraged to undertake research projects in collaboration with students.
Washburn is dedicated to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and cultivating a vibrant and inclusive working environment and curriculum. We offer competitive wages, an excellent benefits program, a supportive leadership team, and a healthy work/life balance. At Washburn, we strive to ensure a campus climate that supports the success of every employee and appreciates the unique skills and expertise each contributes to serving our students.
• Fulfill teaching expectations associated with a tenure-track appointment. Teach 12-hours per semester (either in-person or online, according to departmental needs) or equivalent full workload as outlined in the faculty handbook.
• Teach and develop undergraduate classes and seminars as assigned and as dependent upon department needs.
• Advise and mentor students
• Fulfill service expectations associated with a tenure-track appointment by engaging in service activities in the department, university, and profession.
• Fulfill expectations associated with a tenure-track appointment for scholarship.
• Ph.D. in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Systems, or a computing related field. ABD candidates will also be considered with completion of Ph.D. by May 2024.
• Demonstrated commitment to developing inclusive teaching practices that engage students from diverse backgrounds.
• Experience teaching computer science courses at the college/university level.
• Computer security experience or coursework.
• Data mining experience or coursework.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
• Application review will begin Dec. 1, 2022, and continue until the position is filled.
• Please submit a cover letter explaining interest in teaching at Washburn, vita, diversity and inclusion statement and copies of graduate transcripts.
• If you have questions about this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
• Official transcripts are required if offered a position.
Background Check Required
Washburn is an EOE and is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching-focused academic and work environment. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a campus climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented and/or marginalized in higher education.
Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Washburn University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants for employment. If you are an applicant who needs a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please email email@example.com or call 785-670-1538 at least five (5) business days in advance of the date you need the requested accommodation.